My 18 year old daughter was physically abused by her boyfriend , police report was made and there were wittness. She doesnt want to press charges but as a parent of a 18 year old can i?

He picked her up and threw her on the ground, he is almost
triple her weight

Asked on April 26, 2016 under Personal Injury, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can notify the police on her behalf: anyone aware of a crime, not just the victim, can report it, and if the authorties deem it serious enough, they may file charges regardless of what your daughter wants. You can't, however, force them to file charges--the authorites (e.g. prosecutor) decide whether to do that; and because your daughter is now an adult, you cannot sue him on her behalf--one adult may not sue on behalf of another competent adult. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.