What to do if my mother passed 6 months ago out of state but my brother is executor and I can’t get any information from him?

Will states everything goes 50-50. He is currently living in family house and we have learned he is remodeling. Have no idea how much the estate is worth, how much was in checking, if bills being paid etc. What can I do as he is not reponding to me?

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Estate Planning, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  The probate file of rht eestate is a public record, meaning that you can review it at any time.  In the file is a petition that lists the assets and the values as of the date of death. As a beneficiary you are entitled to an accounting of the estate as well.  It may be time to gain legal help in writing to the estate and asking for an informal accounting.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.