I have a warrent for failure to appear for a shoplifting misdemeanor. My question is, is there any way for me to take care of this without going to the courthouse? I moved to another state, and I wont be back in the state with my offense for a long long time. However, I want to settle my offense if possible. Can a lawyer go to court for me? Or do I physically have to be there?

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in the State of Michigan, there appear to be at least two issues at play here.  First, if you have a warrant out for your arrest, it will almost definitely be necessary for you to turn yourself into the police department that has issued the warrant.  Second, since the warrant is for "failure to appear" it will also almost definitely be necessary for you to appear in court, at some point in time, with respect to both the shoplifting and failure to appear charges.  However, in the interest of 1) making this process go as smoothly as possible, 2) reducing the amount of times that you will have to appear in court, and 3) obtaining the most favorable resolution of these charges as possible, I highly recommend that you consult with and/or retain a criminal defense attorney with respect to this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.