Can I be denied an apartment because I cannot get certain paperwork from my employer?

I am in the screening process of renting an apartment, and am currently employed at job. I am transferring to a new location with the same company but have no paperwork to prove it (my company does not work that way). However, my last day at my current location overlaps my move-in date. Do I legally have to show documentation if this is the case? I filled out the employment verification paperwork the apartment gave me. All it asked for was proof of my current employment and the past 2 years of income, which was met. Can the apartment deny me for not giving them paperwork from my future store?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

And the new apartment is in a new location, correct?  Who is running the store?  Is it you?  Can your employer just give you a letter that you are being transferred or your present mananger such a thing?  If employment is verified I do not see how that can be the basis for rejection but I would try and solve the "problem" before it actually arises.  Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.