Just got terminated from a Director of Nursing position.

The company I worked for just came and terminated the administrator and myself due to a law suit that was filed from a former employee who had gotten terminated by the administrator. The reason I was given was that the company needed to make sure that the facility could move foreward. I was never counseled before this and my performance was excellent. I was often congratulated by the company for my good work. Do you think I have a case?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I doubt whether there is much that you can do about this, unless you have an employment contract.  Otherwise, your employment is "at will," which means that you can be fired for no reason at all, with the only exceptions being a very short list of illegal reasons (like discrimination, or retaliation for filing a workers compensation claim).  It doesn't sound like this is something illegal.

I'm sure there is more to your story than you could, or would, put in this question.  For advice that you can rely on, you need to speak with an attorney and provide all the facts of your case.  One place to find a lawyer in your area is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.