How can I get legal access to my 40 acres if it’s land locked?

Asked on September 18, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to get access by having a court determine that you have an "easement," or right of access, over adjacent land to let you get to/from your land; typically, this would be over the land of the person who sold you your land, or over the land belonging to that person's successor in interest (e.g. someone who bought it or inherited it from him). Speak with a real estate attorney about this; it's a somewhat complicated lawsuit (compared to, say, the average collections or breach of contract case), and you almost certainly want a lawyer's help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.