Can a lease be rolled over for another year without the tenant’s consent?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a lease be rolled over for another year without the tenant’s consent?

I rent a apartment. My lease was up almost 6 months ago and I never signed a new lease. My landlord sold the property to a property management group back shortly after the lease expired. I then figured that because I didn’t sign another lease for a year we were going month-to-month. However, I called to see what the procedure was for moving out and they said my lease isn’t up for another 6 months. Yet I never signed anything. They told me they rolled over my lease for another year but they never notified me. Can they do that?

Asked on September 17, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

They can only do that if there was a provision in your old lease saying they can do that.  This would be unusual in a residential lease.  It is more common in a commercial lease.  Check the terms of your old lease for a provision saying it will automatically renew for another year unless a party provides 30 days notice of intent to end the lease at the end of the first year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption