Is there any way without marriage that I can get a permanent residency with my expired B1 visa?

I would want to further my education and get a job.

Asked on June 23, 2014 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Under American immigration laws you can get a visa (H1B) as a foreign specialty employee if you can get an employer to sponsor you. Another option is to get engaged (not married) and you can apply for a visa as the fiance' of an American citizen of lawful resident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.