Is there any way for me to find a new apartment with an unpaid eviction on my record?

I was evicted from an apartment last year (2009) because I was three months behind on the rent after being out of work for more than a year. I still owe more than $3000 to the apartment complex that I was evicted from, but as yet do not have substantial income to pay them. Is it possible to find a decent apartment (preferably not one in the same area as ex-convicts and other less-than-desirable people) without a co-signer?

Asked on July 28, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are in a tough position but one that many share these days.  Once the eviction is placed on your record many landlords will shy away from renting to you. This economy makes everyone a bit more cautious. You mentioned a co-signor.  That is a good option.  But what may also help is starting some sort of repayment plan with whatever amount you can afford with the old landlord.  If you come to some agreement in writing as to repayment they may change the status on your credit report.  Then it may place you in a better position.  You might also want to look in to a share situation for an apartment to ease the burden.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.