Is there a way to throw my husband out of an apartment that has both our names on the lease?

My husband, soon-to-be ex, has told me that he wants a divorce because he has someone else on the side. He has a daughter with me as well. I need to throw him out of the apartment, because I can’t stand having him there. His name is on the lease with mine. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on May 18, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, until there is a formal separation agreement, final divocrce decree or other court order, both spouse's have eqaul rights to occupy the "marital residence". This is true no matter whose name is on the lease (or deed). At this point, you can consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area who can best advise your further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.