Is there a way to protect me from retaliation after I told my boss that I would not break a health violation?

I was just sent home from my job for telling the boss I refuse to change the dates on expired foods in order to continue serving them to the public. He threatened to cut my hours. I am now contacting the health department about this. I was just wondering if there is a law to protect me against retaliation in this situation?

Asked on December 23, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, there are laws known as "whistleblower" laws which protect those that "blow the whistle" on their employers for violating the law.  Generally these are OSHA related laws (laws that deal with safety and health) but violating FDA and Health regulations works too.  Make sure that when you speak to them at the health department you let them know that you have already been threatened by your employer and you are fearful of retaliation.  You will be protected against discrimination (cutting hours) and being fired.  You may want to contact an employment attorney as well on the matter.  This way you are ready to fight back on all ends. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.