Is there a maximum percentage that can be taken out of a payroll check for child support when in arrears?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Family Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Up to 60% of a person's disposable income (which is income after deductions mandated by law, such as FICA withholding) can be taken out for back child support. However, there is also a floor: wages effecively may not be garnished if the employee earns at minimum wage, and to take out the full 60%, an employee would effectively need to be earning at roughly 2 1/2 x minimum wage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.