tenant eviction–non-payment of rent–

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

tenant eviction–non-payment of rent–

My tenant has not paid rent in over 5 months. I personally hand delivered a Notice to Ray Rent or Quit–and have since verbally requested she move out. 1) Do I have to re-do the Notice to Pay Rent ? or does a hand delivered (she signed it) one count?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  You should have had her removed months ago.  Do the notices again and this time follow your state's statutory guidelines on eviction.  If you don't, you are empowering your tenant to stay for free. 

Now, once you evict, make sure you sue immediately and serve the tenant properly, in order to obtain a judgment for all back rent owed.

Here is some help from the Florida Division of Consumer Service: http://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption