Is renouncing US citizenship after divorce setting a person free from spousal support payment?

My ex recently closed his own business and moved to a foreign country. He is still holding real properties, bank account and mailing address in US. If he is renouncing US citizenship, can he just get away?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help.  If you have been awarded spousal support and he is not paying then you need to bring an action for contempt and to obtain a judgement against him.  Judgements can be filed against real proeprty and you can levy bank accounts.  So he will not just get off,  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.