Is it possible to “revisit” a divorce decree?

My ex was awarded half of the equity in my home at the time of the divorce 5 years ago. Immediately after, the housing market crashed. The 50% equity was to be paid at time of refinance or sale of the home. I ended up doing a short sale for $100 less than I paid. No equity.

Asked on March 14, 2012 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Oh boy.  Please seek legal help with this as soon as you can.  The allocation of the marital assets was - I am sure - based upon the value of the house at the time of the divorce.  And while I am understanding of the situation you probably should have asked for a modification of the decree prior to sale. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.