Is it possible to get criminal records sealed in MT?

I have a conviction for criminal endangerment. The conviction was approximately 7 years ago. I am having an extremely difficult time finding a job because of this. I do not know why, but it has never been a problem until now. I would not expect the conviction to “go away”. Is it possible to have the records sealed so only law enforcement, courts, etc. are the only ones who can see it. I believe this would be invaluable in giving me a fighting chance at continuing to be a productive citizen.

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Criminal Law, Montana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Records can be either sealed or "expunged" which is erased.  Generally, an arrest that results in a acquittal or dismissal can always be expunged.  But states limit the type of conviction that may be expunged or sealed, like excluding certain felonies, etc.  If you qualify you must file a petition for expungement in the courts. It is best that you go an seek help from a criminal attorney that does this in his or her regular course of business. It can be a difficult thing to do and if it is done incorrectly it can be time consuming to do again.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.