Is it possible to get a green card from the US after winning the Visa Lottery?

I won the Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery, my 6 months period of
staying here expired on January 2015 and I want to go through the
process from here? Is that possible?

Asked on May 24, 2016 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if you are already out of status and unlawfully present in the US, you are not eligible to adjust status within the US if you are selected in the diversity visa lottery.  Once you are out of status for more than 1 year, if you leave the US to consular process, you will be subject to an automatic 10 year bar to reentry.  The only way you can adjust status within the US once you are out of status and unlawfully present is through a bona fide marriage to a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.