What can I do if my ex-husband will not sign over the house to me after it was ordered in our divorce decree?

He said the house was bought before we got married. However, I lived in that house for 4 years and stay married to him for another 20 years before we got a divorce.

Asked on November 20, 2015 under Family Law


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A divorce decree is an order of the court, and court orders cannot be ignored. At this point you can appear before a judge and seek enforcement of the decree. This can include jail time and financial penalties for your ex-husband.
You should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area for further advice.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a motion before the court to enforce the decree; the court can impose sanctions on your ex-husband for not complying, including potentially jailing him until he complies. Court orders and decrees are enforceable by the court. You should speak with a family law attorney about taking the appropriate legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.