Is it legal to stay at a friend’s house if I’m on holiday?

I’m from Hungary, and I will be travelling to Florida, where I am planning to stay at a friend’s house for 10 days. Now, does some paperwork have to be done for this? I just don’t want the officers at the airport to give me a hard time if they ask where I will be staying, and I can’t show a valid hotel reservation.
Thank you in advance.

Asked on May 30, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can provide documentation (letter, invitation, etc) that you will be staying with a friend you are visiting in the US and the duration of time you will be staying.  It should not be a problem since not all visitors coming to the US are staying in hotels.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.