Is it legal to have a 17 old working for 13 hours a day?

My 17 year old son went to work for this guy without my permission. The guy had him

working for 13 hours a day but hasn’t paid him. How do I sue the guy and isn’t it illegal to have a 17 years old work without a work permit and for so many hours?

Asked on May 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is in fact illegal to employ a minor without a work permit. In Michigan, a minor is not allowed to work more than six days a week or more than 10 hours per day. I would recommend you make sure your son gets the required permits; otherwise you may get in trouble for child negligence. Speak to your child’s employer about payment, required licenses and reducing his hours. If this does not work contact your State Labor and Employment division for further information on what you can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.