Is it legal to be denied medical insurance because of speeding tickets?

I applied for an individual medical plan for my husband and I but they denied us because of my driving record. I called them and they said it was because of speeding tickets. I am very shocked and don’t feel like this can be legal.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Insurance Law, Arkansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It may not be because of speeding tickets solely but the trend has been that more and more insurance companies are denying insurance for many reasons. Insurance companies nowadays perform background checks and credit report checks. If you have too much debt, your insurance premiums may be high or you may be denied insurance altogether. It is also about habits. If you had many speeding tickets, your chances of injury are higher and the insurance company may not be willing to cover possible significant medical care. Talk to your insurance department in your state that regulates such health insurance companies and file a complaint. Sometimes you will find out more information from the complaint filing than you would from simply asking the company itself. When a regulatory authority gets involved, there is more chance for you to have your questions answered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.