Is it legal for my landlord to keep receiving mail at the house he rented me?

I moved in my house 19 months ago. My landlord still has not changed his address and expects me to collect his mail every month and keep his belongings stored in my house. I have asked his so many times to please stop having his mail sent to this house and to remove his things.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It would be legal if that was what was agreed to; that is, the law doesn't prevent a tenant from renting a home at which the landlord still keeps possessions and at which he still receives mail. As stated, the issue is whether that is what  you and the landlord agreed to.

Normally, when a tenant rents a whole house, he gets full possession of it. The landlord would not keep his belongings there in the absence of an agreement, and would not use the home as his mailing address. Therefore, unless you and the landlord specifically discussed his storing items there and receiving mail, it is most likely the case that you and he did not agree to these things, since there are beyond the usual or norm, and therefore would typically have to be agreed to explicitly. If you did not agree to this, it should be illegal for the landlord to do it. You may be entitled to either some compensation (since you are effectively not getting the whole house) or to an order from a court directing him to remove his belongings, etc. You may wish to discuss your options with an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.