Is it legal for my job to ask me for a doctor’s note for using the restroom?

I have a medical condition that requires me to use the bathroom more frequently and for longer than most. My boss and multiple co-workers were hassling me about it. When I went to my boss about it, he basically told me that no one respects me because I use the restroom often and sometimes for 20 minuets at a time. I asked him what I needed to do and jokingly said, ‘What,do I need to get a doctor’s note for using the restroom?’ His response was

something along the lines of do what you feel you have got to do. The harassment from him and other co-workers has not stopped sense I brought the note in.

Asked on May 31, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, an employer can ask for a doctor's note or other verification of a claimed medical need for an accommodation (such as extra or additional bathroom time); they are not required to simply take the employee's claims at face value. The note does not need to go into details about your condition, but should be the doctor's letterhead or scrip pad and should affirm that you have a medical condition requiring more frequent and/or longer bathroom breaks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.