Is it illegal for a company to hire you and 6 weeks later when your job is supposed to start, they tell you, you have no job?

I was hired for a job that was to start about 5 weeks after hire date. 3 weeks after hire, I went to orientation and filled out all necessary paperwork. 2 weeks after that when my job was supposed to start, I was told there were not enough hours for the 7 people that were hired, and that I no longer had a job. This was 6 weeks after I was hired – and 6 weeks of not actively looking for a job. This all started 3 months ago, and I still have not found the right replacement job. Is this in any way illegal for this company to do to me?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  If you had some kind of agreement whereby you moved your residence and so forth and the employer was aware of this, you may have a case.  However, the reality is that one day an employer needs you and the next he doesnt.  Employers may fire at will employees like yourself for good bad of no reason at all.  There is not much you can do.  Try to claim unemployment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.