Is an amusement park required to release a incident report of an injury?

I was at my weekly visit to Disneyland. I don’t remember what happened but I fell and knocked out 3 of my front teeth, dislocated my shoulder and ended up with a mild concussion. I have a history of epilepsy, however, no one can tell me if they witnessed me having a seizure. I have not had a seizure in more than 5 years so this is surprising to me and my neurologist. I want the incident report from Disneyland to see if there are any witness that can shed light on my injury. It makes a big difference on how my neurologist will change my treatment plan. As of now, we have called several times and Disneyland stated that they are not allowed to release this information. I need this information for my medical care.

Asked on June 28, 2017 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, they are not required to release it unless and only if you file a lawsuit (e.g. against Disneyland) and, in the course of that lawsuit, use one of the legal mechanisms of "discovery" (such as document production request, written "interrogatories" or questions, or a subpoena) to get the report. Only in the context of a legal action can you compel it's release.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.