Is a verbal agreement on a real estate contract offer binding?

My realtor called me 2 days ago with an offer. We went back and forth on the phone with this offer until we reached an aggrement. Verbally agreed by phone only. I was suppose to meet with the realtor today to sign the offer. But in the mean time I recieved a full price offer for my home. Is this verbal agreement binding in the state of PA. Can I take the other full price contract offer or am I leagally binded to the verbal offer?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written with respect to the full price offer for your home relayed by your realtor, the verbal offer is not valid under the doctrine called the "statute of frauds" which requires a written agreement by a person buying real property or selling it to be dated and signed by the party to be charged with the transaction.

Until you have a written offer signed by the buyer and you accept it in writing, there is no agreement to sell your home that is legally binding. You can accept any other written offer you desire in writing if you wish.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.