If I inherited 1/3 of my mother’s property, how do I give it to my siblings?

My mother passed away last year and the 3 of us are listed as beneficiaries but I want to give my share to my brother and sister. Can I do a quick claim deed even though it hasn’t been changed to our names?

Asked on March 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Is the estate still in Probate?  Do you have an attorney helping?  You can renounce an inheritance but it must be done within a certain time after death (generally 9 months).  If you want to transfer it now it may I would just wory about an tax implications (although California no lnger has a gift tax and the property may fall under the Federal amount).  If it has not yet been changed and filed you have nothing to transfer yet but if it were you can use a quitclaim deed, since it is used in CA.  Please speak with the lawyer helping.  Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.