What to do if in my divorce decree it states that I am to get my ex wife’s name removed from our mortgage loan and I’ve tried but cannot get refinanced?

I am very close now to a forclosure. Will I be in contempt since I can”t get her name off the loan? Can she take my visitation with my daughter away because of this?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Family Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Good question. The best thing that you can do is show best efforts to the court on your part to have your "ex's" name removed from the loan secured by the property that you have written about. Under the law, the court cannot hold you in contempt for something that you simply cannot do despite best efforts to the contrary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.