Am I required to continue alimony to my ex-wife if she remarries?

It was in the final order that I pay until she is 65 but I did just have it reduced due to my retirement 3 years ago. She has been married for a few years now. I would like to remarry but do not want my new wife’s income considered in the alimony issue.

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Custom and practice in the family law area is that when one spouse is paying spousal support for another under a court order and the spouse who is receiving spousal support remarries, the issue of continuing with such is revisted with the court.

As such, I recommend that you consult with a family law attorney about filing a petition to terminate or reduce the monthly spousal support you are currently under order to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.