How can I get an expungement if I received a midemeanor for reckless driving 2 years ago?

Now I’m trying to move out and most apartments I’m looking at have a “No Midemeanors or Felonies” policy, so I need to look into expungment. My local court system won’t answer my questions and their website doesn’t help. How do I go about the starting the process and how long does it take?

Asked on January 31, 2013 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

While I'm not admitted to law practice in your state, my understanding of the law is that no convictions for traffic offenses may be set aside or expunged. At this point you should consult directly with a local criminal law attorney. They can best explain your rights/remedies under the circumstances. 

In the meantime, here is a site that you may find to be of help:


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.