How long does the law state that a lender must return my clear title after paying off my car loan?

Asked on July 14, 2010 under General Practice, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Once the car loan has been satisfied the lender should notify DMV immediately and then the mender will send you the new title.  I do not know of any statutory time period listed but within a "reasonable" amount of time. Some lenders, though, do not provide this service so you would have to do it yourself.  All the information that you need is on the California DMV website., but generally you would need  the signature of the lienholder on the original title, Lien Satisfied Statement form, which must be notarized and have the lienholder listed and a notarized statement from the lienholder (with the car’s description) stating that they have no loan on the vehicle. It costs $15 or so to transfer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.