Can a minor be sued for a car accident?

My daughter was driving my vehicle to a friend’s home. The car was uninsured and she had an accident. She was 17 years old. Can she be sued? In our state 19 is the age of legal adulthood, if I’m not mistaken. Can I be sued? She wasn’t on any errand for me or any other adult in the home. What are my options to protect myself against the insurance company?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Accident Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a minor can be sued for an automobile accident or any other matter that he or she was involved in where the minor was the cause of the mishap. As such, your daughter can be sued for the car accident that she was in.

If the car was not in your name that your daughter was driving, I do not see from what you wrote any basis of liability as to you.

If the car involved in the accident driven by your daughter, you can be sued for the mishap. The key issue is whether or not your daughter was at fault for causing the accident.

Your best option to safeguard yourself in the event of a lawsuit stemming from the accident is to consult with an attorney that defends personal injury matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.