What to do if a former friend bought my motorcycle but has failed to finish paying me off?

I still have the title he has the bike and key and his hiding it from me. The police say its a civil matter and nothing can be done on their end to help me. If there is a worthwhile legal recourse I’d like to pursue it.What kind of attorney should I seek as I do not have time to deal with this working out of town.

Asked on September 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to speak with a collections attorney.

You could sue your former friend for the amount owed and after obtaining a judgment, you could get a wage garnishment to enforce the judgment.  You can also recover attorney's fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.