If you are starting an online prophetic ministry – do you pay property taxes on your home? What do online ministry get verses a church.

I read that ministries do not pay property taxes on their homes – businesses – etc. and they also can take exemptions – is this true? If so , how does it work? How can one find a wonderful attorney and cpa? What is the difference between an online ministry and an physical ministry – do they both receive the same benefits? If not can you explain please? Thanks

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your questions are far too complex to try and address here.  You need to speak with a tax attorney in your area.  If you need help locating one try www.AttorneyPages.com.  Once you have an attorney I'm sure he or she could make a recommendation as to a good accountant.

What I can tell you is that to do something like this you have got to be sure that you follow all rules and regulations to the letter, if in fact this would even qualify for special tax treatment.  The IRS has cracked down on many of these home ministries in recent years.  And the penalties can be severe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.