If you are injured by a motorist who is under 21 and is on an auto policy with his parent for 15/30/10 coverage and they own a home can you sue them and attach a lien to there home for the difference in which they don’t carry

Mother son share auto policy
husband deceased mother owns home
but is under insured on auto

Asked on May 27, 2016 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Prior to filing a lawsuit, it may be possible to settle the case with the at-fault party's insurance carrier.  Most of these cases are settled without filing a lawsuit.
When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.  Your claim filed with the at-fault party's insurance carrier should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
If the case is settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the at-fault party's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.
Since it is the parent's insurance policy, you should name the parent as a defendant in the lawsuit in addition to the at-fault driver.  Upon obtaining a judgment by prevailing in the case, you can enforce the judgment with a lien on the parent's home.  The judgment can also be enforced with a wage garnishment.
If the case is NOT settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, your lawsuit for negligence must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.