If we have no debt or money together and the kids are all over 18, doI have to file a finance declaration?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to check with an attorney in your are on the specifics as to procedure in your type of case.  The paperwork that you are referring to is the paperwork required by the courts when you are filing for divorce.  They are generally mandatory.  Sometimes the parties can waive the disclosure issue if nothing is being contested and there are no joint assets or debt to be determined,  and there is no spousal support being requested.  But it really could come back to haunt you if there was something.  If your spouse lied about it the you have recourse later on.  Speak with an attorney in your area.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.