If my auto insurance company is suing me and I have a court-ordered hearing but now they want me to give a deposition first, do I have to go?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my auto insurance company is suing me and I have a court-ordered hearing but now they want me to give a deposition first, do I have to go?

My daughter totalled my car last year. The insurance company had me give a deposition and they did an investigation at the time because they said I misrepresented myself and did not list my daughter on the policy. My daughter was not living with me at the time. It paid the claim but is now suing me. I have a court day in 3 months for mediation, however, I just received a letter from their lawyer yesterday saying I was scheduled for a deposition in their office next month.

Asked on April 26, 2012 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are being sued--that is, you are a party, however unwilling, to litigation, such as the defendant in a lawsuit--you must attend a deposition. If you do not, you could potentially lose the case immediately as sanction or penalty for not attending (your answer, or the pleading in which you dispute the case, would be dismissed). Less severe sanctions include being unable to put your own testimony into the case or dispute what the other side is saying (which means they'll almost certainly win anyway) and/or being hit with some of the other side's legal bills. In short, bad things could happen if you do not appear for a deposition when you are a party to a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption