If something should happen to my husband and I and we don’t have a legal Will what would happen to our children?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, Kansas


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your children are minors, the court would appoint a guardian for them.  You can prepare a form to designate a guardian for your minor children without preparing a will.  You can also name a guardian and alternative guardian in a will.

A will is not an expensive document.  I advise everyone to prepare one, especially if they have children.  Providing for your children will be much easier if you and your husband have a will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.