If my water company is giving me false water bills, what can I do about it?

The place where I live is on a “community water well” serving approximately 50 homes. It is governed only by the owner, not city or state. The problem lies within billing. Even though my account has a 0 balance (based upon cancelled checks), he continuously sends bills in excess of $150 saying the account is unpaid. When I can reach him, I send him copies of cancelled checks and he says, “Oh it must have been a billing error”. Then the following month, he sent another past due $150+ bill. This has been going on for over 6 months. The county or state will not help. What can I DO?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under General Practice, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to deal with the erroneous billings that you have received from the water usage you have is to have a face to face meeting with the water system's owner about such to try and resolve.

Once the meeting is completed, send a letter to the person sending you the erroneous bills memorializing the meeting and confirming that more attention to detail will be made as to the water bills that you will receive in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.