Can a car dealer change the APR/payment terms once paperwork is signed and a purchase made?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a car dealer change the APR/payment terms once paperwork is signed and a purchase made?

I just purchased a new car and signed all of the paperwork at a certain APR with a certain payment listed and now, a week later, the dealer is telling me that the APR and payments will be higher than what we agreed upon. Is this legal?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would have to read your paperwork carefully.  Many times, a dealership will quote an APR based upon the assumed creditworthiness of the borrower at the time the financing is agreed upon.  A potential or eventual lender might not agree to the same terms if there is a problem with your credit and bump up the rate.  You may, depending upon state law, have the option of cancelling the transaction and giving the car back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption