If my position is eliminated and I’m offered a position out of state with a guarantee of reimbursement for travel and take it but then am not reimbursed, what can I do?

The owner of the company told me that I could have just stayed until my position was gone and then collect unemployment and now this manager that I transferred to told me I was going to have all these things and in the end he provided the opposite of everything he told me about the position. Now I lost my chance to collect because I have to resign. Is this fair?

Asked on September 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is nothing you can do unless you had a written employment contract for a definite term (e.g. a one-year contract) which guaranteed you those benefits, etc. If you did, you can enforce that contract in court by a "breach of contract" lawsuit; the employer must provide what it contracted to provide. However, without a written employment contract, all employment is employment at will in this country: the employer may change its terms, conditions, compensation, benefits, etc. at any time, for any reason, and can back on what it orally promised. So without a written contract, you would have no recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.