What recourse do I have with a signed contract stating a pay increase upon a satisfactory review?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have with a signed contract stating a pay increase upon a satisfactory review?

My supervisor and myself signed a contract upon being hired with a wage increase of 18.oo upon a satisfactory 90 day review. I’ve two satisfactory reviews over the past year and a half, and still no pay increase. Is this a binding contract for my employer to uphold because both myself and my supervisor signed this agreement?
Thank you

Asked on September 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Written employment contracts are enforceable in court: if you have a written contract signed by yourself and your supervisor and they violate it, you should be able to sue for the additional money due you, retroactive back to when you should have gotten the increase. That is your recourse: to sue. If the amount of back pay at stake is less than or equal to the limit for your local small claims court, sue in small claims, as your own attorney; otherwise, hire a lawyer to help you out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption