If my license is suspended in one state, can I get another one in a different state?

Asked on November 2, 2015 under General Practice, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your driver's license is suspended in one state, you generally can't just pick up and get one in another state. The reason is because of the IDLC (the Interstate Drivers License Compact). This is an agreement in which 45 of the 50 states share information on things such as traffic convictions and other related matters, including suspended dricer's licenses. Accordingly, if your license has been suspended and your state participates in the IDLC, then you won't be able to get a new license in any other participating state since they will have a record of your suspension. 
That having been said, there are some non-participating states: WI, TN, GA, MA and MI. If you move to one of these states, they may not have a record of your suspended license and therefore may issue you a license unknowingly. However, if you attempt to get car insurance, there is a good chance that your insurer will notice that you have a suspended license and it will refuse to issue you insurance. 
Your best bet is deal with your suspension. Contact a local attorney for further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.