If my grandparents died and the land that they owned is still in there names but there isn’t a Will of any kind, what happens to the land?


Asked on November 26, 2013 under Estate Planning, Kansas


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The land would be passed on to your grandparents' heirs. To figure out who their heirs are, you look at the intestacy laws for the state where your grandparents lived. In most states, the heirs would be their children and/or grandchildren.

You probably have to file a petition in probate court to get the land transferred to the heirs. However in some states, depending on the value of the land, you may be able to transfer the land using a small estate affidavit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.