How can I clear my record of a misdemeanor conviction?

Asked on July 16, 2015 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Many states allow for the expungement of misdemeanor convictions, however,  others do not. In order to find out the law in the state (i.e. the one in which the offense occurred, which may or may not be the one that you now live in), the best thing for you to do is to google the name of the state and the word "expungment". You should find the information you need in order to determine your eligibility for cleaning your criminal record; many times the documents that you need will also be available.

If you are still unclear on things, you can consult directly with an attorney who specializes in expungment cases. They can best advise you as to your rights under specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.