If I’m fired shouldn’t I get my paycheck?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You gave no specific details as to your situation. However if, for example, your check is being withheld due to a shortage of some kind, that is not permitted. If an employer has the right to be compensated for a shortfall, it must pay the employee their paycheck and then have the employee pay the amount in question back over to them (unless the employee agrees in writing to a paycheck deduction in writing). In a case where an employee refuses to pay, the employer can sue for the money.

The fact is that final paychecks have to be paid within a certain period of time after an employee leaves, either voluntarily or involuntarily. Since your paycheck is being illegally withheld, you should file a complaint with the department of labor in your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.