If I went to small claims against the person who rear-ended me but then our companies went to arbitration and I was not found at fault, can I get paid for damages?

Asked on November 5, 2014 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally, if you suffered damaged from an at-fault driver, you can sue him or her for compensation. But you indicate that your "companies"--presumably, your respective insurance companies--are in arbitration. If there is a case in arbitration, you may not be able to separately sue--it may be that everything and all claims should have been resolved in the context of the case being arbitrated. You need to speak with you insurer and/or their attorneys to understand the procedural context and whether you may seek compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.