If I slipped due to a puddle on the floor of a grocery store can I sue?

I never saw it. Apparently, they knew about it but were slow so it was cleaned up before I got to the aisle.

Asked on December 2, 2018 under Personal Injury, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

In order to sue for a personal injury there must be a harm that was suffered due to the negligence (or intentional act) of another. In your case, the store may  (or may not)have been negligent in getting the puddle cleaned up, however you may not have suffered an injuries as a result of the fall (other than a little soreness). Further, even assuming that you were hurt, you must prove that the store was in fact negligent regarding the incident. For example, what caused the puddle? If fit was due to a leaky pipe or if the floor had just been washed and the store knew or should have known of the condition, then it was not following a reasonable standard of care in not cleaning the puddle up immediately. If, however, that was not the case, then you may not be successful in making a winning a claim. It all depends on the specific facts of the case. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.