If I don’t have a seller’s name, can I suit them if I ohave their cellphone number?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I don’t have a seller’s name, can I suit them if I ohave their cellphone number?

I bought a car a few days ago. The seller told me that the car could pass smog check. I paid by cash and left without signing any contract. I had a smog check 2 days later and the car couldn’t pass. I contact the seller and he started to hang up my calls. After I said that I would file a lawsuit against the person on the certificate of title, he replied “no please don’t do”. He then told me to come get the money and give the car back. I said “OK can we meet at 1 pm tomorrow” but he then replied “no”. Is this a fraud? Is it worth it to suit this person if the car only cost $3,000?

Asked on April 7, 2012 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) Is it worth it to sue for $3,000--it depends on the value of  your time. It's probably not worth retaining an attorney, but it would be worth bringing a small claims action, acting as  your own attorney, so long as you would not make more in, say a day, then you hope to recover from the lawsuit.

2) If the seller misrepresented (lied about) the ability the car to pass a smog check, that would be fraud, and should provide grounds to rescind the contract (return car, get money). It may also be a breach of contract in that you paid for a car which is  road legal in all ways, but were not given that. Therefore, you should have grounds to sue.

3) You cannot sue someone without an address, since without an address, you cannot serve the court papers  (summons and complaint) on them; without good service, which meets the requirements of court rules, you cannot establish personal jurisdiction, which means the court would have no legal authority over them.

However, you may be able to sue without a name, if you have the person's address (though best would be if you find out his name, using address or phone number and any of the many search or look-up tools on the Internet)--you can file the lawsuit initially against a "John Doe," describing him by his actions (e.g. "the seller of a 1998 white Ford Mustang, VIN # . . .. ") and by the other identifiers you have (e.g. phone number, address); then later, when you get the seller's name, you can amend the complaint with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption