If I receive 1/2 of my husband’s retirement and he’s willing to give me house, am I still able to collect alimony?

My husband has a rather decent amount in his retirement I know by law I receive half of that he’s willing to give me the house so that I wouldn’t have to move with are two children but in order for me to stay here financially don’t think I’ll be able to do it. I want to know because the retirement amount is pretty large will I still be able to receive alimony. We’ve been married 26 years and most of those years I’ve either been home with kids or worked around there schedules. Mostly has a server.

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The issue of alimony or spousal support in Georgia is based upon the court's review of the situation based upon a set of factors.  They are as follows:

  • The standard of living established during the marriage.
  • The duration of the marriage.
  • The age and the physical and emotional condition of both parties.
  • The financial resources of each party.
  • The time necessary for either party to acquire sufficient education or training to enable him to find appropriate employment.
  • The contribution of each party to the marriage, including, but not limited to, services rendered in homemaking, child care, education, and career building of the other party.
  • The condition of the parties, including the separate estate, earning capacity, and fixed liabilities of the parties.
  • Such other relevant factors as the court deems equitable and proper.

[Based on Georgia Code - Sections: 19-6-1 and 19-6-5]. 

So it is not a cut and dry answer here for you.  Please consult with an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.